Wednesday, December 31, 2014

ASICS PENANG BRIDGE INTERNATIONAL MARATHON 2014 - 2ND YEAR ANNIVERSARY FMV @ 16th FULL MARATHON

Catch of the day.... huhu... Awesome medal design, best finisher tee so far...
Helo there... Buenos dias! I know I know, this is a very very overdue entry on Asics Penang Bridge International Marathon (APBIM) 2014... I don't know why, but I don't feel like writing on this one this time around... So many cons, unpleasant experiences during this year APBIM... It's totally different compared to last year's edition... In short, we can call it a DISASTROUS running event of 2014. Ever! I'll tell you why in just a sec.

For your information, APBIM is my anniversary run for Full Marathon... Completed my 1st FM HERE in 2012 (just click HERE for more stories), celebrated my 1st year Anniversary HERE last year and this year it was my 2nd Year Anniversary FMV. I was expecting an extragavanza celebration this time around. Unfortunately it became one of my worst Anniversary Run. 2nd worst after Melaka River "International" Marathon. I don't think this year's APBIM has reached the "International" status... So much for breaking the previous MBOR in terms of numbers of participants for this year. They neglected so many aspects this time around. Too bad...

Let's set aside the negative vibes first, shall we and focus on the bright side. This year, I've decided to go to Penang with my fellow MARDI Running Buddies, Raja Del and Rashid. After all the more the merrier, right. We carpooled to Penang and stayed at Raja Del's uncle house there in Bukit Jambul during our trip. We departed on Friday night and reached Penang around 3am. Raja Del took the 2nd Bridge to the Island. That was my first time crossing the new bridge. Ever. Nampak sangat aku nih jakun... hohoho... Amazed by its mighty length and super sleek design. Really admired all the unique curves and  features. Luckily we didn't feel the obvious elevation, unlike the old 1st bridge. That's a relief hehee...
Amik berkat lalu Jambatan Kedua Pulau Pinang nih dolu... Lawa rupanyer!
Woke up around 8am, lazily. Still lack of sleep but Rashid was eager to do our so-called "annual ritual" run. So we headed to USM and ran past Vistana Hotel (we stayed there last year for PBIM, last minute thingy), went to the Stadium, took some pictures and posed here and there. There was even a Primary School Sport's Day were being held there. Then we ran towards Tasik Aman, took some pictures there too as usual.. Then we ran back towards Del's uncle house. It's our easy shake it off run walk run. Stopped over at Kayu Nasi Kandar restaurant for a light breakfast. Bumped into Pali here.. Runners was everywhere during that weekend. 

Larian fun fun snap snap pose pose sekitar USM Kampus Minden...hohoho! #memorylane
Kita Selfie ciked bersama abam sado letops nih Pali dolu! - Credits Pali
Later on we went back. Getting ourselves ready for a scrumptious lunch in Nasi Padang International Penang. The traffic congestion was crazy in Georgetown on that day. Too many runners and entourage perhaps. To make it worse, it was school holidays too. Luckily we had our chance to savour the delicious lunch. It's a must for us whenever we were in Penang. Nasi Kandar can wait eh!

Wajah-wajah tersandar kekonyangan setelah melantak bersama saka memasing lol! - Credits RMR
The star of the dish -Deep fried Stuffed Cencaru... Sinfully yumm! - Credits RMR
Once we were full and happy, we went for REPC. The sky was getting dark and it's going to rain any time soon. Actually they've already had their racekits via courier. So cheapskate of me. It looked like the queue for collecting my racekit was quite long under the scorching sun. They didn't arrange it according to the designated categories, unlike last year. Some were collecting it in bulk. Oh dear, it was not moving at all, so chaotic so I've decided to go to another lane. It was started to rain heavily and I finally received my racekit. Urghhh... It turns our that was the first sign of many unpleasant experiences to come, actually... Hmmmm...

Around REPC Saturday... - Credits RMR
We waited until the heavy rain subsided before making our way to have our early dinner. At first, we were thinking to have it at Kapitan Restaurant near QB Mall. However, the traffic congestion was super insane. Since we didn't want to waste our precious time in the crazy traffic, Del decided to go to Kassim Mustafa, Bayan Baru where they served specially prepared Ghee Rice (Nasi Dalcha), a famous traditional Indian delicacy from Kilakarai of India. Even though we were still feeling full from our heavy lunch, we had to eat something for dinner since we had to sleep early. So, I had the fragrant Nasi Dalcha with a fried chicken and mix of curry.

Kenyang lagik pon kena sumbat gak.... Sedap nih... Betol2 rare derr.... =P
After that, I went to purchase Gatorade, some bread and mineral water. Bumped into Sao Nawarat and her friend, who were having their dinner not far from us. What a lovely co-incidence. Took some picture and off we went back home. It's time to have decent night sleep before the HUGE 2nd Anniversary Run at 1.30am. I tried to shut my eyes coz I really need that deep sleep and enough rest. It's a must. Woke up around 10.40pm++ and prepped myself up. Del was generous enough to send us to the starting line since he will run his Half Marathon in 3am. 

Group photo first, guys n gurls! -Credits Run & Explore Photog
We Are Ready To Rock Penang Bridge! - Credits Azim
We were early this time around, unlike last year. Had plenty of time to deposit our bag, went to the portaloo to get rid of the "jitter" pee and went around to meet the usual suspects. Bumped into Ariff Syafik, Azim, Kak Ati, kRomzy, Gme, Shamroslee, Ridhwan, Meek Soon, Dr Shah also. Felt like a big reunion of runners there. Exactly after the mini fireworks show, the Men Open category participants were being flagged off. It took me 2 minutes to cross the starting line... The crowd was huge! 
Pic credits to Mr Tan Kim Lai & Meek Soon
I`m so freaking nervous right now! Wuwuwu...
It was a humid night to run first and foremost. I felt stuffy running with my Red Riding Hood on. Tried to maintain my normal pace around 7-7.30... At least maintained a sub 8min/km pace in order to finish within sub 6 hours. That's my target at first. But some how things didn't always happen the way we wanted it to be... Crossed 5km in 41:41, still a bit sluggish but still within my normal pace. Bumped into Syed Nazrul (FMV Runner) circa 13-14km. Paced with him for a while until my back pain started to mess with my pace. We had our pep talk for a while too.  Said hi to Gme on the opposite side. He's running vlazing fast in his magical SailorStar Wizard costume! Managed to keep a constant pace until 21km a(U-turn point) with 2:53:35 (barely Sub3) It was still a humid night.. Not that windy, except at the middle of the bridge on the open sea. All I could see was light posts and so many runners all over.

Yayyy Hairy Red Riding Hood spotted - Pic credits to Mr Kah Wai RFF

I kept on chasing for that 6hours orange balloon pacer after 21km onwards. Had to stop for a toilet break circa KM24. Cannot tahan, had to do it in the nature, at the roadside ehh... =P Then I continued my mission. Shuffled, huffed and puffed all the way until KM30. Plenty of drinks, isotonics and bananas for all. I crossed KM32 under 4:49:58. There's no way I could cover another 10km under 1hours 10minutes.  Around 32-35 km another nature call no.2 was really bugging me. I don't think I want to use the portaloo on the bridge so I soldiered on and tried to finish this asap. As I approached the final 5km, I've merged with the 10km runners. To my horror, I could see how difficult they were thronging the narrow two lanes bridge to get to the U-turn point. Saw Aizat Razak, Pali, Cruz running on the other side, saying hi and cheered to tired old me... Thanks guys!


Luckily the crowd was still bearable and runnable. I kept on running and had a slow run along the final stretch. Finally I crossed the Finishing Line (over distanced 42.56km according to my Garmin) under 6:25:38 (nett time). Syukur, Alhamdulillah... 16th FM under my belt. Not my best time but I took it gladly. Especially when we ran in stuffy hot costume like mine... hehee...The FL was so narrow, no separation for each category. It was too crowded and so confusing actually... Bad bad idea...To make it worse, all FM finishers would have to queue up under the hot sunny Sunday to collect their finisher tee according to the their sizes. Luckily mine was size L so the line was not that long. I was queueing up at M size lane before coz there's no one told me to queue up accordingly. Saw this one runner argued with the volunteer about the long line. After that, all FM finishers were treated with cold Milo drinks, 100 Plus, Yakult and some snacks... I didn't take those snacks... Too tired to do so. I decided to go and collect my bag at the starting line. 
Yeahhh baru sampai nih weh! Fenat gilos - Pics credits to Pn An Drenaline
Bersama Otai2 Marathoner & Kaki Ultras - Lokman Keme dan Fath... 
Being interviewed as soon as I reached the FL.... I couldn't think straight n still gasping... Hope I answered correctly... =P
Met so many familar faces along the way. Took pictures with them. Rashid told me that he had to wait quite long to retrieve his bag back although they've tagged the bags with numbers and all computerized sorts. Didn't wait for long coz it was getting hotter. Once we were ready, we headed out towards the carpark. Still had to walk 1-2km or so to reach Del's car. Hehee... The traffic congestion was so chaotic around the venue. No wonder all the shuttle buses couldn't reach the venue in time, as being promised by the organizer. 
Smile for the camera yeahh! - Credits to RMR
Pose2 dengan Ishaqrudy and his friend.. Tumpang sat hohoho! -Credits to Ishaqrudy
All in all, I had a good run actually... What a great memorable road runcation too after all... But the venue was not convenient for an "International" level marathon. So many runners were complaining about almost everything. Some even determined to boycott it next year if they still wanted to do it on the 2nd Bridge. I would rather ran Standard Chartered Bangkok Marathon next year than this forever record breaking marathon (Read: Profit-oriented maybe). Other than that, the volunteers were super friendly and helpful... Thank you so much for all your selfless sacrifices and contribution throughout the race.
Kami Dah Nak Pulang... Lawa btol casa impian nih... 
Till then, sayonara! 

2 comments:

  1. Let's not repeat this run again, eh
    #crowded #peopleeverywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely it's gonna be a BIG No No for PBIM 2015.... Bangkok aku datang eh! Finally... =)

      Delete