Monday, October 6, 2014

Park Marathon 2014 - It's A Wet (Not so Wild) Full Marathon Hamster Style... =D



Helo there fellow silent readers and dear followers... Sorry for the super delay... Happy Eid Adha to all my muslim friends and happy holidays to my non Muslim friends...  Enjoy your holidays and makan-makan yaa =D


It all started when I was looking for a decent 14th full marathon to run somewhere in September. At first, BII Bali Marathon sounds like a good plan and very interesting. But somehow the air tickets were so expensive so I had to ditch it in the end. Hope to run in Bali next year then sob2...T_T

Fortunately, I came across reading this inaugural event from Yahya Iskandar's blog, one of my MM compatriot. The format reminded me of running my 1st Back 2 Endurance back then in 2013. Park Marathon (PM) 2014 was the brainchild of the respected Race Director (RD), the Ultra Man himself, Mr. Jeff Ooi. The only difference was you just have to run 16 loops of 2.7km within the cutoff time to finish the total of 43.2km, whereas for B2E you have to run as many loops of 2.3km in Lake Garden as you can within the 12 hours.

I am so looking forward to run this inaugural Bukit Jalil Park Marathon 2014 because I like the runners friendly concept where the one and only WS, which was situated at the Start/Finish line. I didn't have to bring my drinking bottle along the route. I could even stop for a while to get my drinks, eat my energy gels and change my apparel hoho... How cool and convenient is that. :D

Furthermore, I would love to dedicate my run for Malaysia Day since the celebration was on 16 September, two days after the event. Feeling all patriotic deep inside, I wore my Team Malaysia TM Fan Run tee. Ready to roar like a Tiger huhu... I didn't take a long time to decide and I registered it immediately. That explained my running bib number was #10. Super Top10 kiasu me hohoho...

My running buddy, Suhirman collected my racekit in Running Lab since I had to work on Friday and Saturday.  Thanks bud! =D

I haven't run much after my First DNF experience in Penang Ultra 2014 which was a week before this event. So I was hoping the 47km of mileage before I decided to DNF in that race would be enough to prepare me for this FM run. Only one subtle 7-8km easy run three days before the event. Plus, I had some works to be done in Kuala Selangor for two days prior to PM 2014.

Me & Suhirman, both were psyched to run this inaugural PM...
Fast forward to the event day. It was a wet morning. I could see the sky started to rain cats and dogs as I drove towards the starting venue. It was a heavy rain with thunderstorms so I prepped myself up in the car and made my way towards the starting line in the heavy rain. My clothes and running shoes were super drenched. I took a shelter at the starting line while waiting for the downpour to subside. So I hung my wet socks and shoes to let it dry during the long wait. Finally the rain stopped circa 7.30am and we were flagged off by 7.45am. RD mentioned that the cutoff time was extended to 7h15m during the briefing due to the late start.
2nd loop.... Still ok, all fresh and chirpy... Pic Credits to Eugene Teoh..
It was raining and I'm still got to run and run the hamster loop... Pic Credits to Ms. Hong Lan Tan
Roar Like Fat Tiger Boy! lols - Pic credits to Mr Eugene Teoh =)
I took it easy for the 1st and 2nd loops. Just want to have a feel of the 2.7km route. There were three inclines along the way that I had to deal with physically and mentally too. I decided to break my run into three sections, 6:5:5 loops. Easier for me to digest mentally. It was not that dull during the first 6 loops. Many runners, joggers, walkers were spotted along the route. Some were gathering for their tai chi @ chit chat sessions, while others were seen having a great morning run with their families and friends. The weather was still overcast and windy too. I had to go for my toilet break twice during the run. So cold, cannot tahan one. ;P

Somehow after the 7 loops, it started to rain again. Luckily I had my rain jacket on and my cap so that I didn't feel that freezing cold. I had a nice icy cold ice cream batang, sweetcorn flavour some more at the WS. I even had it in the pouring drizzle. Could not resist it definitely. Yummeh! Takdela rasa mental sgt hehee

I had to stop almost every 2.7km because I need to spray my aching knees and readjusted my knee strap.   There were plenty of drinking water, Coke and Revive Isotonic drinks at the WS. We were served with watermelon slices, bananas and duku/langsat too. So juicy! I ate quite a lot of bananas since I felt hungry that morning huhu... Had two energy gels after 8km and 16km weren't enough for my bulging belly...

I managed to do 21km in 3:06:41. Saw Suhirman, Yahya Nizar, Rafizudin and many runners along the hamster loop. The weather remained cloudy until 12.15 pm. Ideal for a mental FM loop, I said to myself.

I forgot to bring my Hammer Anti Fatigue Caps (I really need to kick myself for the silliness). Luckily they offered us some potatoes chips just to satisfy my hunger pang and my sodium intake. Did not want to catch a cramp along the way. Plus I started to experience some chafings due to the soaking wet compression tight. However the show must go on.



Me dashing towards the Finishing Line... Awesome! Pic credits to Kah Wai

The run didn't feel that mental at all. We were cheering for each others whenever we met along the loop. Exchanging high fives and cheer really lifted my spirits. Plus there were some photographers took our pictures along the loop. I've decided to wear my tiger beanie cap when it was not raining anymore because it was not a hot day. I felt more in the zone whenever I had my tiger beanie on. Some strangers even cheered for me as I ran past them. Plus Kah Wai the famous bf photographer was taking the next shift after Eugene. He waited patiently for us at the WS to take our pictures. That's what makes me want to finish my 16 loops as quickly as possible. Huhu..


Pic candid taken by Ms. Hong Lan Tan during the selfie.... So hilarious ya...

Our Groupfie... Thanks to Madame Karen Loh... Best of luck for your Chicago M ya... =D
Saw Karen Loh the RD for MWM at the WS after my 12 loops. She was there to give her support and managed to take a groupfie with her, Jeff Ooi and Jason Tan. Thanks Madame, it was so much fun... :)

Finally I completed the 16th loops in 7:13:14 (moving time 6:53:54). What a relief and joy! It's already around 2pm... Overall, I was at no.38 out of 48 and 31st in Men's Category. Unfortunately, 7 runners DNFed the run. Collected my cool finisher medal and striking bold finisher tee. Glad my size was just nice... Took some pictures with the fellow remaining runners and off I went back home. Super tired but really satisfied. I will never see the dreadful incline in Bukit Jalil Recreational Park the same way ever again... Huhuu... In fact I still don't feel like running there yet ever since the PM 2014. Felt like a fat chubby hamster running the route... Hahaha....

Congrats to all of us, the inaugural finishers of PM 2014!
Happy 51st Malaysia Day 2014.... 
Cool finisher medal and Water Bottle from 2ndSkin Asia
The Finisher tee by 2ndSkin Asia was mind blowing, super bold fluorescent orange!

Till we meet again PM 2015.... Let's mental game begins....again, shall we?  =D

P/S: My GARMIN data here ya... 

No comments:

Post a Comment