Thursday, June 5, 2014

Hat Yai International Marathon 2014 (8th) - Double The Fun, Double The Heat!

Tudiah Rombongan Makhayam Gme @ Cik Kiah  9 Bersaudara di Hat Yai... Hohoho... 
Sawadekap... 


Helo there! Welcome once again to my humble warm fuzzy running blog...

Today I wanted to share with you on my not so recent Hat Yai International Marathon 2014. For the record, it was my 11th Full Marathon till date. I haven't give my review on my 10th FM (2XU Compression Run SG) yet due to the traumatic severe chafings experience. Even don't want to remember about it at all hohoho... (Read: Traumatic)

Occay, enough of whining. Let's get back to the real story. I was so looking forward to come back here again after having such a great time running a good race last year (feel free to read it HERE).


Super comfy room and the bathroom was spacious too... Luv it!!!  Value for your money =)
This year I planned to go there on a very tight budget. I've booked a return trip bus ticket. Decided to go there on Friday night and arrived in Hat Yai on Saturday, 24 May 2014 around 9.30 am local time. Had a light breakfast before went to Green View Hotel for an early check in. The room was spacious and cheap too (RM75++ per night for two). Plus it was quite near to the starting line and within walking distance, about 1 km. Gme decided to stay with me during the 2D1N stay in Hat Yai. Cost effective totally.. =D

Rombongan Cik Kiah Berenam Pose2 Depan Hotel Green View Dolu....
From the hotel, Gme, Yours Truly, Ruud, Suhirman, Baizatul and An walked towards the Jiranakorn Stadium to collect our racekit. The process was very smooth and we're done in a jiffy. Met several Malaysian running groups too at the venue, including bf Kahwai, Uncle Tan & friends. We took some photos together. Plus the mini expo was totally irresistable. Bought some running shorts at a very cheap prices and good quality too (although imitation one).

Teruja sangat nih pose2 patriotic selepas mengambil running bib dan baju event... Huhuu
This is a must pose in front of the Jiranakorn Stadium... Nice lucky number though =D
After the REPC, we took a tuktuk and went straight away to Kay Tod Daycha (Pokok Mangga) for our non spicy lunch. We really ate a hearty authentic Thai cuisine, I tell you. So delicious! *Martylar bermulanya makanthon sampai lebam!
Tanda2 kebuluran jelas terpancar di wajah masing- masing... hohohoo
Siakap Stim Halia nih memang sedap khap khun khap!!! 
Later on we decided to pay a visit to the famous Klonghae Floating Market. But before that we stopped by at the hotel to fetch forever gorgeous Miss Aeda, Am and Wani. So now there were 9 of us squeezed in a small tuktuk. Felt like in a sardine can hewhewhew... 




Once we reached the floating market, we went for a stroll on the new bridge. Took some selfie picture on a very hot and bright sunny Saturday! Bumped into Ezam and his super friends there. Not many tourists were spotted on that day, probably due to the fear of series of bombings in the Southern Thailand and martial law enforcement in Thailand. I just bought myself a tantalizing creamy glutinous sticky rice mango (pulut mangga). And It was just 30 Baht!  Woot2..
Malaysian running contingent.... Woot2!
Hantu2 Pulut Mangga Siam Girang Gumbira! 
Pics Courtesy of Miss Aeda & Mr Am GR 
Look At Us! Wajah - wajah ceria beria di atas jambatan Klonghae...
[ Pic courtesy of Kahwai ] 
After that we went back to the stadium to attend the free carboloading session. Didn't eat any as I was still full from the heavy lunch + pulut mangga. Met the global marathon icon YKK (42 FMs total on his belt) and the Southern Thailand sweetheart, Ms Thilda Sanjoren. She was so friendly! Didn't miss the opportunity to take some pics with them. ;D
Sebelum upacara free carboloading di dalam stadium huhu...
Rombongan Cik Kiah Bergambar Kenang2an Bersama Miss Thilda Super Gorgeous! 
 
Later on, we went for a walk around the city centre. Honestly my feet were killing me after an all day long walk and wanted a rest so badly. Once we tapaued our dinner, we went straight ahead to the hotel for an early rest. I dozed off while those marathon maniacs trio went to the huge night market in the search of Gme's glamorous wigs. Hahaa. Talking about sheer determination!

Kami lah geng yang x pernah kenal erti penat lelah setiap kali melancong di tempat orang heheee
Capek Lumayan bersama Cik Gme Yang Forever Energetik ehh...
I woke up around 2.15 am. Feeling so fresh but still a bit sleepy. Thanks to Aeda's wake up call. Hahaa! Felt like kicking myself for not preparing all the apparel in advance... Dang! Rushed towards the starting line and managed to reach there around 3 am! Took some photos before the flagoff and by 3.30 am off we go!

Sempat lagik nih pose2 Malaysia Boleh di hadapan hotel pagi2 buta tuh... 

Capturing the fresh faces before the super hot hot marathon! [ Pic by Ezam]
There were not so many people running the FM that morning. Around 300-400 I think. Running in a pelikat pants and Indo batik shirt screamed suicidal to me since I could feel the extreme humidity even at this wee hours! I could not run any faster in this Nusantara theme apparel. I completed my 8KM run under 1hour. From there I had to take it as my long run, knowing that a PB is not within my grasp anymore. At first, I was aiming for a Sub 6 finishing. However I was punished by the merciless sun starting from 8 am onwards.

Tranquility before the scorching bloody merciless Hatyai Sun! [ Pic by Gme ]
Running on the same route just like last year was no longer an advantage. I was running on an Ultra pace I tell ya. Could not muster any faster as the pelikat pants restricted my knees movement. Hahaa my bad! Reached the 25.5km U-Turn in 26.5 km and I could see Ruud n Suhirman were catching up on me after the u-turn. I really had to pangsai around 27km. The bush near the road served it purpose. Hahaa darurat weh! Bad news was I accumulated a serious chaffing around my bumbum due to the sweaty compression tights and undies... Ouch! I ignored the pain and kept soldier on... It was already started to get shining bright and hot! Struggled to reach the WS at 30km despite there were still some shades along the highway. From 30KM onwards, the real nightmare began!



Masih mampu lagik tersenyum ceria beria di pagi yang mendung selepas U-Turn...
Siap sempat amik selfie lagik kami berempat yang sakan bergambaq nih hohoo! 
It was a clear sky. The merciless sun was shining so bright high up on the sky. The intense heat was unbearable as there were no shades available along the highway. The final 12.195km felt like a neverending journey. Running was almost impossible due to my wet shoes and I could already feel some blisters formed on both of my feet. Tried to speed walk-slow jog strategy.


Keep holding on ehh walaupon dah mula mental gilerrr.... [ Pic courtesy of Mr. Tan ]
Almost had a heat stroke coz I could feel my heart rate was almost off the chart. I Felt like I want to lay down and rest every time I found a shade along the way. Luckily there were plenty of iced cold water to quench my thirst and I splashed some on my head and back! I was toasted on the blazing Sunny Sunday! T_T

I knew I almost hit the wall after the KM36. My mental was tested to the max. I could only do some speed walk until KM41! It was super blazing hot and already past 6 hours and 30 minutes! Thank goodness once I saw the finishing arch within my sight and a runner waving our Jalur Gemilang, I dashed through the finishing line in 6:46:35. Heard the emcee announcing my name and i'm from Malaysia! Thank goodness! PW? Who cares, my moving time was 6:35:00. hohohoo 

Once I received the finisher medal and tshirt, I went straight towards the food tent as I was ravished in hunger. Almost took a pork meal and luckily Ms Thilda came offering me with the heaven sent Thailand Chicken Yellow Rice. After that I went towards the FL and took photos with fellow Malaysian runners and with our finisher tee too ;D
Taubat dah xmahu lari dalam pelikat pants nih.... Insaf2! Panas wehh!


Later we took a tuktuk and went back to the hotel to pack our stuffs up before we checked out at 1230pm. Gme and I put our bags at Am's room and we went for a self rewarding lunch at Pokok Mangga. Again. But this time we had a spicy mixed tom yum, mango salad, deep fried battered calamari, fried chicken and steamed barramundi with lime. Totally yummeh! I met Azrie and Sis Lily here too.


Pose2 kekenyangan sejurus selepas puas melantak sakan makanan yang enak2....
[ Pic courtesy of Miss Aeda ]
After the dellghtful lunch, we went back to the hotel and managed to doze off a bit while waiting for our bus on 7 pm.  The journey back home was a breeze.

Overall my marathon + makanthon + photothon went well just like I've planned... Not much issues except for the chaffings and small blisters. I was glad that I took Hammer Anti Fatigue Caps accordingly. Should take Endurolyte caps too next time.  A very well organised event with plenty of iced drinking water, sweet syrup, watermelon cut, banana, herbal jelly and icy coke at some WS. Love the golden finisher medal this year, it was heavier than last year hohoho... =P

Highlights of JJCM Hat Yai 2014
Insaf? Biasalah tuh selepas habis sahaja acara... Hahaa... Next time I have to be more careful in selecting my running apparel especially when running in a tropical country like Thailand. Less cotton, more dri fit material then. I think I'll stick to wearing a pelikat pants for a 10km fun run only.

Till then, cheers mate! 

XOXO

P/S: For those who are looking forward to run Hat Yai Marathon 2015, please save and block this date in advance 31 May 2015 yaa.... Toodles! =)

Feel free to refer to my GARMIN data HERE....  Merci!

3 comments:

  1. Tahniah uol. Memang meriah rombongan Hatyai kali ini. I rela skip Sundown thn depan demi nk makanthon kt Hatyai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koannn... Rasa nak ditch Sundown M 2015 semata2 Hatyai M gituh next year... Makanthon tuh yang dinanti2 selama ini gitooh... Rasa nak gi sehari lebih awal je... Bole rest lama sikit ehh ;P

      Delete
  2. hey, good job in your marathon!
    I plan to do this marathon next year.
    just wanna ask about the marathon it self, were there sufficient water stations?

    ReplyDelete